Do you want an engaged team delivering exceptional business results to your loyal client promoters and brand advocates? Then lead with L.O.VE.
L.O.V.E is an acronym for Lead within First, Ownership, Values, and Empathy. It’s my high-level framework on how to lead consciously to create a healthy culture of trust, purpose, and well-being.
L – Lead within first
Lead within first is to know thyself – the good, the bad, and the ugly. This form of self-awareness and continuous self-improvement is the foundation of conscious leadership. It enables leaders to recognize their thoughts, emotions, and motivations and how they affect behavior and decision-making.
- Practice daily meditation or other self-reflection techniques to develop self-awareness and identify areas for improvement.
- At the end of your day, take 2-3 minutes to answer: What went well today? What didn’t go well today? How can I be better tomorrow?
- Seek and be open to feedback from trusted family, friends, and colleagues about your strengths, weaknesses, and opportunities.
Benefits: Consistent inner work reduces stress, enhances interpersonal dynamics, fosters authenticity, and allows you to lead with intention and purpose.
O – Ownership
Ownership is taking responsibility for one’s decisions, actions, and outcomes. Conscious leaders ask themselves, “What is my role?” firstly. They take responsibility for the results of their decisions and understand that they are accountable for the success or failures – and learn from those experiences. Ownership means having a growth mindset and being willing to learn and continuously evolve.
- Acknowledge when you are wrong and take steps to course correct.
- Use mistakes as an opportunity to learn and grow as a leader.
- Model the behavior for others.
Benefits: Ownership creates engagement among team members and fosters a culture of continuous improvement, wherein mistakes are learnings without shame or consequence.
V – Values
Your values are what’s most important to you. Closely tied to beliefs, your values guide your decisions, actions, and interactions with others. Your values help you make tough decisions, providing a roadmap to determine if you’re going toward or away from a desired result.
- Identify your core values by asking what motivates me and what are my beliefs.
- Exercise: Ask yourself what’s most important to me about [ leadership] to understand your values. Ask the question three times; each time, write the words (usually one) that come to mind. Then look for repeating words across those three lists. These are your top values.
Benefits: Values-based leadership fosters a culture of trust, transparency, and respect among team members, leading to better collaboration, communication, and innovation.
E – Empathy
Empathy is the ability to identify with others and understand their point of view. It allows you to connect and create a sense of community and support. When you are empathetic, you listen to your team members and understand their needs, concerns, and what inspires them. Having empathy helps you build trust and stronger relationships and make better decisions that consider the impact on those around you.
- Actively listen. Set aside your biases and assumptions and ask questions to understand their point of view.
- Put yourself in their shoes and anticipate their needs.
- Respect their model of the world/perspective.
Benefits: Empathy creates a culture of psychological safety and belonging, which can lead to better performance, engagement, and well-being.
L.O.V.E is a simple yet powerful framework that captures the essence of conscious leadership. To apply these principles today, start by setting aside time for self-reflection, taking responsibility for your mistakes, identifying your values, and practicing empathy. In doing so, you can co-create a work environment that is supportive, collaborative, and successful.
Naomi N. Ali is the CEO of NNALI Consulting, Conscious Leadership Coach, Author, Speaker, and Nationally Syndicated Columnist on The Price of Business Network. NNALI’s mission is to champion conscious Leadership where mindset and well-being thrive for the greater good. Visit www.nnali.com to learn more.